Club Grape: Italian Wines in Review
The Fairmont San Jose
On Friday, October 23rd 2009, the semi-annual Club Grape meeting took place at the Silicon Valley Capital Club, located on the top floor of the Knight-Ridder Building, adjacent to The Fairmont San Jose hotel, in downtown San Jose, California.
The focus this year was on Italian wines, and the event opened at 5:30 with a 30-minute, sit down seminar for 28 select guests, featuring four of the wines, Occidental 2004 SuperTuscan by Azienda Vitivinicola Caliscana di Roberto Crea, Monteregio di Massa Marittima DOC – Laran by Fattoria Coliberto, Cannonau di Sardegna DOC – La Marina, by Romangia Società Cooperativa, and Monferrato DOC – Infinito (Endless) by Poderi Rosso Giovanni, paired with a small plate prepared by Executive Chef, Randy Aprill, including four cheeses, a bite of stewed meat, a prosciutto-wrapped fig, and a bunch of grapes.
During the seminar, I illustrated the organoleptic characteristics of the wines, their regional origin, the soil composition and the wine making techniques, in addition to guiding the pairing with Chef Aprill's food.
Then, from 6 to 8, assisted by WineCountry.IT, L.L.C. associates, Massimo Margelli and Cinzia Mandati, we poured a total of nine wines in a typical walk around tasting for about 70 club members. Of course all the red wines were poured using our landmark Centellino Areadivino wine aerator, which was widely appreciated by the participants in the tasting.
The event was very successful, in fact the vast majority of the club members congratulated us for the quality of the wines presented, but more importantly, expressed their appreciation by ordering several cases of wine, as well as several Centellino wine aerators.
The nine Italian wines selected from the WineCountry.IT, L.L.C. portfolio:
- Rosato Italiano IGT, by Azienda Agricola Mauro Zini, from Emilia Romagna
- Fior Fiore – Ansonica, by Azienda Vitivinicola Caliscana di Roberto Crea, from Tuscany
- Occidental 2004 SuperTuscan, by Azienda Vitivinicola Caliscana di Roberto Crea, from Tuscany
- Primitivo di Manduria DOC – Le Baccanti, by CantOlio Manduria scarl, from Apulia
- Valdichiana DOC – Poventa, by Azienda Agricola Buccelletti - Casali in Val di Chio, from Tuscany
- Monteregio di Massa Marittima DOC – Laran, by Fattoria Coliberto, from Tuscany
- Toscana IGT Super Tuscan – Occhini, by Fattoria La Striscia, from Tuscany
- Cannonau di Sardegna DOC – La Marina, by Romangia Società Cooperativa, from Sardinia
- Monferrato DOC – Infinito (Endless), by Poderi Rosso Giovanni, from Piedmont